GoToInsure.ca specializes in Liquor Insurance serving all of Atlantic Canada.
And quick glean of the news on any given day demonstrates that impaired driving and other alcohol-related accidents unfortunately do not seem to be on the decline. It is extremely important to ensure that your business or special event is taking every opportunity to decrease your exposure to liability for injuries on and off your premises.
In the eyes of the law, you owe a special duty of care to your patrons and the general public because you are a commercial liquor provider, or the planner of a special event serving liquor. In other words, the law believes that the organization should controlling the risks that arise from the sale of intoxicating beverages.
Even if your organization is ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing, a plaintiff could keep you tied up in legal proceedings for a long time. A lengthy litigation could end up costing you an arm and a leg in legal fees, and could even lead to personal bankruptcy.
Who Needs Alcohol Liability Insurance?
- Owners of licensed establishments like a restaurant, tavern, or pub.
- Organizers of special events, like a fund-raiser, wedding, block party, backyard party, an annual kick-off in a theatre, or just about any other event where liquor may be present.
Anyone planning a special event should be aware that their regular insurance might not cover certain risks and liability issues. By serving alcohol, it raises an additional number of risks and you will need extra coverage's to protect yourself.
Coverages for Liquor Liability Insurance that you may need;
- Alcohol Liquor Liability
- Employee Benefits Liability
- Umbrella Liability
- Directors and Officers Liability
You've heard the horror stories - Protect your organization
A common example of an alcohol-related claim occurs when an intoxicated patron leaves a bar, gets into his car, drives, and causes a serious accident. In this case, the victim's family could now sue the establishment for both civil and criminal damages.
It's vital that if your establishment serves alcohol, you protect yourself from possible financial losses by being covered with a Liquor Insurance Policy. In the above example, Alcohol Liability Insurance could help cover the bar's legal costs, court fees, and any civil or criminal damages awarded.
Risk management can reduce the risk of being sued however it will never eliminate the risk entirely. Having the proper Liquor Liability Insurance might save you from losing your business.
There are certain steps that your organization can take to minimize your exposure to Liquor Liability. You want to ensure your guests safety as much as you can.
Key ways to protect your business from a lawsuit;
- Policies & Procedures: Have written policies in place that addresses liquor consumption issues. All employees should read and sign the policy manual and manager should have regular meetings if any recent incidents or concerns arises. This is proof that you have strict rules for your employees to follow. Advertising for taxis should be promoted in your establishment.
- Supervision: Managers should ensure that the number of employees on shift is appropriate for the number of clients present. There should also be employees who are "on-call" in case an unexpected volume of clients arrive.
- Training: It is very important to review the policies and procedures manual with the staff on a regular basis and re-train employees following an incident.
- Evidence preservation: It is crucial to gather the facts as quickly as possible of the incident on an incident report card and also get statements from witnesses. This should be confidential at all times. If you have a video surveillance, preserve the footage for a minimum of 3 years.
These suggestions with an adequate Liquor Insurance policy should help prevent some major risks.
I invite you to contact New Brunswick GoToInsure.ca specialist serving all of Atlantic Canada to get a new non obligated quote or even for us to verify your Alcohol Liability Insurance policy. We have dozens of commercial insurance brokers with the experience and expertise in this line of business that you deserve. Let us give you peace of mind!
Are your Tires ready for Winter!!??
Are Your Tires Ready for Winter?!Read More...
Keep Safe on the Water
Stay Safe on the Water this Summer.Read More...
Seven well-established independent business people – all insurance brokers - from different corners of the province came together with the idea of sharing thoughts and ideas on how to “do insurance better”.Read More...